After the Meet & Greet, if you and the potential adopter decide to move forward, it's time to:
- Finalize the adoption (online at rehome.adoptapet.com). For info on how to do this, click here.
- Set your pet up for success in their new home. Do NOT skip this step! Prepare a document for your pet's new family—include everything from the list below and anything else that comes to mind (less is not more in this situation)! Next, pack up their remaining food, their favorite bed, treats, toys, litterbox, leash, carrier/crate, and any other familiar items they love. Those will help your pet tremendously as they adjust to their new life and home.
For more info on preparing this important list (including specific examples for each item), click here.
- Known likes and dislikes
- Current diet and feeding schedule
- Activity preferences
- Litter Box preferences (cats)
- Potty/Outside Schedule (dogs)
- Sleeping arrangements
- Microchip number and registration info
- Meet in a safe public place to give your pet to their new family. Avoid parking lots for safety reasons, and crowded areas in general to make the handoff less stressful for your pet.