If after doing a Meet & Greet, both you and the applicant agree to move forward, it's time to finalize the adoption in Rehome! As the private owner, it's up to you to initiate this process:
1. Log in to your Rehome account, and from your pet's profile select "View Application" on the adopter's application that you have chosen to adopt your pet (be sure to select the right one!).
2. Next, click the blue "Finalize Adoption" button.
3. Check all three boxes if the Pet Owner terms have been completed and click "Finalize Adoption". Once you click "Finalize Adoption", you'll receive an email with the subject line: "Your pet's rehoming is complete". The adopter receives an email too. In the email is a link to download the Transfer of Ownership agreement.
4. Both you and the adopter need to complete the Transfer of Ownership form one of two ways:
- Option 1: Print two copies of the Transfer of Ownership form (one for you and one for the adopter). Complete, sign, and exchange at the pet handoff, so you both have a signed copy.
- Option 2: Sign online: You can upload the Transfer of Ownership PDF to Adobe Acrobat for free so both you and the adopter can sign electronically.
6. To help your pet get settled into their new home, assemble their going-home kit including their food, treats, toys, bed, litter box, leash, carrier/crate, and any other favorite things. We highly recommend you prepare this document for their new family to set your pet up for success in their new home.
7. Arrange for the handoff of your pet to their new family. Meet in a safe public place, avoiding parking lots and dog parks for safety reasons, and crowded areas in general so the handoff is less stressful for your pet. At the pet handoff, collect your adoption fee (if applicable) from the adopter, and exchange the Transfer of Ownership forms, keeping a fully signed copy for your records.
Your pet's adoption is complete!